Sunday, August 11, 2013

Continent Twister - Geography Learning with a Twist!

Last year, I came up with the idea to introduce geography and mapping skills by having the students create their own Continent Twister.  You know, rather than "right foot blue" they would play "right foot Europe!"  The students absolutely loved this activity, and I was quite pleased with the learning that took place!  Sneaky teacher that I am, I was able to get in map skills such as continents, oceans, equator, latitude, longitude, compass rose, without the students even realizing that they were learning!!!


This project requires cooperative learning in small groups and problem solving skills, so I was able to learn so much about my students right away!  I allowed the students to choose their own groups, which gave me great insight to which students could or couldn't work together!

The hardest part of this assignment was figuring out how to make it into a game - the standard Twister spinner does not work for this game, so problem solving was required for the teams to come up with a workable solution.  Each team came up with a different idea - but they all worked!

I am definitely going to start my year with this project again!  But this time I have organized everything in a great little Teachers Pay Teachers unit!  All of you can benefit from my learning curve!  Check it out!  I priced very affordably, so everyone can enjoy!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Continent-Twister-a-Common-Core-Aligned-Twist-on-Mapping-and-Geography-819648

This is a true "Butts Up!" activity!!!!

Happy Mapping!!!

Shari
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment